Tag: 上海静安附近情趣楼凤

World Cup: Ronaldo puts Paris agony behind him in 2002

first_imgWATCH: LeBron alley-oops slam dunk off backboard in NBA Finals Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina In the 1998 final in Paris, Ronaldo turned in a subdued performance against host France and Brazil lost 3-0. Brazil’s underperformance was blamed on the health of Ronaldo. To the shock of just about everyone, Brazil coach Mario Zagallo left his main striker out of his starting lineup, apparently for health reasons. Years later, Ronaldo said he had a seizure earlier in the day.Whatever happened that night, Ronaldo endured a series of injuries thereafter and was lucky to make the trip to Asia.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownArmed with a curious haircut involving a triangular wedge on the front of his head, Ronaldo was the main attraction. But few thought he could recapture the sort of form that made him the world’s most feared striker in the run-up to the 1998 World Cup.He proved all the skeptics wrong. Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film MOST READ FILE – In this June 30, 2002, file photo, Brazil’s Ronaldo celebrates scoring against Germany during the World Cup soccer final at the Yokohama stadium in Yokohama, Japan. Brazil won the match 2-0 with Ronaldo scoring both goals. The 21st World Cup begins on Thursday, June 14, 2018, when host Russia takes on Saudi Arabia. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic, File)The path to glory can be a painful one. Ronaldo, one of Brazil’s greatest strikers, can attest to that.The big question at the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan centered on Ronaldo and whether he could exorcise the ghosts of four years earlier.ADVERTISEMENT China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls With eight goals during the 2002 World Cup, including his two precise finishes in the final that finished off Germany, Ronaldo scored more times in a tournament than anyone since West Germany forward Gerd Muller in 1970.His goals helped Brazil reclaim the crown it lost on that curious night at Stade de France. Brazil, led by coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, won an unprecedented fifth World Cup.Ronaldo was back in the Brazil team that went to Germany in 2006, a World Cup many expected it to win — not least because the striker was partnered up front by Rivaldo and Kaka. That didn’t quite pan out with France winning 1-0 in the quarterfinals.With another three goals in 2006, he became the World Cup’s all-time leading scorer with 15 — a record since overtaken by Germany striker Miroslav Klose.No matter, though, because Ronaldo had been well and truly redeemed.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operationslast_img read more

Read More
Peak home-selling season off to slow start

first_imgDALLAS – The peak spring home-selling season is off to a slow start, builder D.R. Horton Inc. said Tuesday, another sign that bad times in the housing market may last longer than expected. Horton, the nation’s largest homebuilder by deliveries, said Tuesday that its sales order in the most recent quarter fell 37 percent, led by even steeper declines in California and the Southwest. The grim report trumped recent indications that sales of homes, especially existing houses, had been improving. “It appeared demand had stabilized, but this throws that into question,” said Bernard Markstein, an economist for the National Association of Home Builders. Horton and other builders have been forced to throw in incentives to generate sales. They have also reduced the number of homes under construction, dumped lots and backed out of options for new land. Shares of Horton were traded down 34 cents or, 1.54 percent, to close at $21.70 Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange. They have traded in a 52-week range of $19.52 to $35. Experts said some of the factors that overheated housing markets in the past several years – especially easy financing for buyers with marginal credit and growing use of zero-down loans to afford pricey houses – were coming back to haunt builders. People who bought homes at low teaser interest rates are now seeing their monthly payments soar. Many of them can’t afford the new payments nor can they refinance under today’s tougher underwriting standards. “These people are now putting those homes back on the market. Most of them are nearly new homes, and they’re competing with the builders,” said Bruce Norris, a longtime real estate investor in Riverside. “This is not a solvable problem anytime soon,” Norris said. “It’s going to run its course,” which he predicted won’t be over until 2010. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Horton’s founder and chairman, Donald R. Horton, said that conditions for selling homes “continue to be challenging in most of our markets,” as the supply of unsold new and existing homes remained high. “We continue to sell more homes than any other builder, even though the spring selling season has not gotten off to its usual strong start,” he said. The Fort Worth-based company said net sales orders for the quarter ended March 31 totaled 9,983 homes, down from 15,771 a year ago. The value of the orders dropped 40 percent, to $2.6 billion from $4.4 billion a year ago. The decline in orders was sharpest in California, plunging 59 percent to 1,107 from 2,697 a year earlier. Orders in the Southwest fell 39 percent. The smallest decline: 21 percent in the Northeast. The weak quarter followed a 23 percent drop in orders during the last three months of 2006. last_img read more

Read More