Tag: 上海狼族藏凤阁419

Judge drops contempt of court proceedings against two San Francisco reporters

first_img San Francisco Chronicle journalists Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, who faced prison for refusing to reveal their source on an investigation into a sports drugs scandal, would escape jail after their informer admitted he supplied the information. WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists RSF_en Organisation March 5, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Judge drops contempt of court proceedings against two San Francisco reporters News June 7, 2021 Find out more “If the lawyer Troy Ellerman had not admitted to giving information to Williams and Fainaru-Wada, the prison sentence imposed in the lower court for “contempt of court” would likely have been upheld on appeal on 7 March,” the organisation said. “This is a happy outcome for the journalists but is in no way a victory for press freedom and protection of sources”.Williams and Fainaru-Wada reported in the San Francisco Chronicle in 2004 on a federal grand jury investigation into drug-taking in the sports world, implicating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO). The journalists had obtained a copy of testimony by three baseball players and one athlete accused of taking steroids allegedly provided by BALCO. Ordered to reveal the source of the investigation leak, the two journalists cited the right to protect their sources, which is recognised in 33 states, but not at federal level. On 15 August, federal judge Jeffrey White sentenced them both to 18 months in prison for “contempt of court”, the maximum penalty. Their lawyers immediately appealed. Their appeal was frequently adjourned but finally set for 7 March 2007. In the interval, on 14 February, Troy Ellerman, one of the a lawyers for the accused sports figures, admitted that he had given the journalists his clients’ statements and said he would plead guilty to “contempt of court”, “obstructing justice” and “breaking an oath”, offences considered federal crimes. Ellerman faces two years in prison and a 250,000-dollar fine, if the judge accepts the deal.Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, on 19 January had pleaded the case of the two journalists in a letter to the Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales, repeating her support for a federal law guaranteeing journalists the right to protect their sources.Reporters Without Borders said Nancy Pelosi’s action in taking up the case of the two journalists with the Department of Justice and voicing support for a federal “shield law” allowing protection of sources meant that the case had in one respect marked a major step forward, in the direction sought by the organisation. to go further Help by sharing this information June 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders today welcomed federal judge Jeffrey White’s decision on 1 March to cancel contempt of court findings and sanctions against San Francisco Chronicle reporters Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada for refusing to reveal their sources for leaks in 2004 about an investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs by athletes. They had been found in contempt of court in 2005 and faced up to 18 months in prison.Their lawyers asked the judge to withdraw the proceedings against their clients after Troy Ellerman, a lawyer representing athletes accused of doping, admitted to being the source of the leak and said he would plead guilty to contempt of court, obstructing justice and filing a false statement.Reporters Without Borders does not however regard the decision as a legal victory for the press, as federal legislation still does not recognise the right of journalists to protect the confidentiality of their sources. Californian video journalist and blogger Josh Wolf, 24 has been in prison since 18 September for refusing to surrender unpublished video footage to a federal grand jury.____________________________________________________________15.02.07 – Two journalists should avoid prison in sources case to “relief but no satisfaction”Reporters Without Borders voiced relief that Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, of the daily San Francisco Chronicle, threatened with imprisonment by a federal court for refusing to reveal their source of information in a sports drugs scandal, would not after all go to jail.But the worldwide press freedom organisation said this conclusion did not resolve the root of the problem since the source had effectively turned himself in and pleaded guilty. News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Follow the news on United States NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas April 28, 2021 Find out more News United StatesAmericas Newslast_img read more

Read More
Amundsen Sea bathymetry: The benefits of using gravity data for bathymetric prediction

first_imgBathymetric charts are essential for modeling oceanic processes, yet, in remote areas, direct measurements of seafloor depth are often scarce. It is possible to augment sparse depth soundings with dense satellite-derived gravity data to provide additional bathymetric detail in regions devoid of sounding data. We demonstrate this method by using marine gravity derived from the European Remote Sensing (ERS-1) satellite altimeter, combined with depth soundings, to form a bathymetric prediction of the Amundsen Sea, West Antarctica. We estimate the root mean square error of depth estimates at unsurveyed locations in our solution to be ~120 m. We use a Monte Carlo method to assess the value of gravity as a bathymetric predictor in sparsely surveyed regions by comparing our solution to predictions formed from depth soundings alone. When less than ~11% of 10-km grid cells contain depth soundings, inclusion of gravity data improves the depth accuracy of the solution by up to 17%, as compared to a minimum curvature surface interpolation of the depth soundings alone. When depth data are sparse, our gravity-derived prediction reveals additional short-wavelength bathymetric features, such as troughs on the continental shelf, which are not resolved by interpolations of the depth soundings alone.last_img read more

Read More
Former national track star Waveney Benn thanks 1E CEO and founder Sumir Karayi

first_imgFORMER national middle-distance star Waveney Benn is grateful for the support given to Guyana’s CARIFTA Games team by 1E CEO and founder Sumir KarayiGuyana finished with a total of eight medals (four gold, one silver and three bronze) at the games hosted in Curacao earlier this month. It was Karayi, Benn said, who outfitted the team for the event with clothing, footwear and other paraphernalia.Karayi is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Founder of 1E Software and Services Company based in the United Kingdom.The company develops software for managing and reducing costs in IT, known as Software Lifecycle Automation.Founded in 1997, the company has more than 26 million licensees deployed worldwide, across 1 700 organisations in 42 countries. Its customers are drawn from public and private sectors across the world and include Dell, Arup, and Ford Motor Company.Benn, who represented with distinction, for a number of years at several international and regional games, including gaining medals in the 400m and 800m at the CARIFTA Games, believes local athletes deserve every help given, making mention of Karayi’s timely gesture.Benn hopes that Karayi will continue to support athletes in Guyana, especially those preparing for overseas participation.She said that the Indian businessman was pleased to make the donation and would be happy to know that he would have contributed to Guyana’s success at the games.last_img read more

Read More
No decision made to publish list of H2H registrants – GECOM Commissioners

first_img…object to Secretariat publishing registrants’ informationOne half of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) has denied that any decision was made by the Commission to publish the list of registrants captured during the recent House-to-House exercise, throwing further uncertainty into the exercise.Robeson BennThe People’s Progressive Party (PPP)-nominated Commissioners Sase Gunraj, Robeson Benn and Bibi Shadick on Wednesday evening said that such a decision was never taken by the full Commission.“We read reports in the press, attributed to Commissioner Charles Corbin, that the Guyana Elections Commission will proceed to publish the entire list of persons registered during the House-to-House (H2H) exercise from Thursday, 24th October, 2019,” the Commissioners said in a statement.Sase Gunraj“These remarks were made to the press immediately after the Statutory Meeting of 22nd October, 2019 and the impression was conveyed that the said disclosure was a decision of the Commission. We were present from the beginning to the end of that GECOM meeting and we wish to emphasise, most vehemently, that no such decision was taken”.According to the Commissioners, they have since informed the Chairperson of GECOM, Retired Justice Claudette Singh, of this misinformation and have requested her intervention. Moreover, they made their objections to the move clear.It was announced on Tuesday that GECOM had completed the encoding process for data gathered from the recent House-to-House exercise and that fingerprints would be sent overseas to be cross-matched.Bibi ShadickIn his engagement with the media after the meeting, Commissioner Corbin had explained that the data gleaned from the encoding process will be put up for public scrutiny from today (Thursday). At the time, however, Gunraj had noted that while the proposal came up for discussion, there had been divisions at the Commission level about this approach.“We discussed the House-to-House data. Specifically, we got back a report from the finger print cross-matching on a part of that data. What we are looking at now is what to do with it. A proposal is to publicise it for public scrutiny, but then to what end?” Gunraj had explained to the media.“My questions at the meeting were, when you post it for public scrutiny, how does one deal with it? Is one allowed to make an objection? Is one allowed to make a claim? Is one allowed to ask questions about entries on that list? Those are questions that have to be answered by the Secretariat. Up to the present time, we have not received any proposal as to how those issues will be treated”.At the same time, Corbin himself had also called for the intervention of the GECOM Chair to steer GECOM in the right direction. He had noted that the time has come for Justice Singh to take a stand on certain matters. He pointed out that this is necessary in order to move the process forward.“I think all the views associated with how to treat with all the data available to us, how to treat with all the transactions that are to be conducted during Claims and Objections, I think they have all been properly ventilated. I think positions have been adopted by all members of the Commission”.“And I think that at this point, from my assessment, it is a question of decisions that have to be made. What has been happening is there has been a repetition of views… as a result of all the information available. So at this point in time, I think the Chairman will have to weigh in with a definitive decision on where to go, because time is slipping. We have until the 11th of next month to complete the process,” Corbin had said.last_img read more

Read More