Tag: 上海油压多少钱一次

Judge drops contempt of court proceedings against two San Francisco reporters

first_img San Francisco Chronicle journalists Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, who faced prison for refusing to reveal their source on an investigation into a sports drugs scandal, would escape jail after their informer admitted he supplied the information. WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists RSF_en Organisation March 5, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Judge drops contempt of court proceedings against two San Francisco reporters News June 7, 2021 Find out more “If the lawyer Troy Ellerman had not admitted to giving information to Williams and Fainaru-Wada, the prison sentence imposed in the lower court for “contempt of court” would likely have been upheld on appeal on 7 March,” the organisation said. “This is a happy outcome for the journalists but is in no way a victory for press freedom and protection of sources”.Williams and Fainaru-Wada reported in the San Francisco Chronicle in 2004 on a federal grand jury investigation into drug-taking in the sports world, implicating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO). The journalists had obtained a copy of testimony by three baseball players and one athlete accused of taking steroids allegedly provided by BALCO. Ordered to reveal the source of the investigation leak, the two journalists cited the right to protect their sources, which is recognised in 33 states, but not at federal level. On 15 August, federal judge Jeffrey White sentenced them both to 18 months in prison for “contempt of court”, the maximum penalty. Their lawyers immediately appealed. Their appeal was frequently adjourned but finally set for 7 March 2007. In the interval, on 14 February, Troy Ellerman, one of the a lawyers for the accused sports figures, admitted that he had given the journalists his clients’ statements and said he would plead guilty to “contempt of court”, “obstructing justice” and “breaking an oath”, offences considered federal crimes. Ellerman faces two years in prison and a 250,000-dollar fine, if the judge accepts the deal.Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, on 19 January had pleaded the case of the two journalists in a letter to the Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales, repeating her support for a federal law guaranteeing journalists the right to protect their sources.Reporters Without Borders said Nancy Pelosi’s action in taking up the case of the two journalists with the Department of Justice and voicing support for a federal “shield law” allowing protection of sources meant that the case had in one respect marked a major step forward, in the direction sought by the organisation. to go further Help by sharing this information June 3, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders today welcomed federal judge Jeffrey White’s decision on 1 March to cancel contempt of court findings and sanctions against San Francisco Chronicle reporters Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada for refusing to reveal their sources for leaks in 2004 about an investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs by athletes. They had been found in contempt of court in 2005 and faced up to 18 months in prison.Their lawyers asked the judge to withdraw the proceedings against their clients after Troy Ellerman, a lawyer representing athletes accused of doping, admitted to being the source of the leak and said he would plead guilty to contempt of court, obstructing justice and filing a false statement.Reporters Without Borders does not however regard the decision as a legal victory for the press, as federal legislation still does not recognise the right of journalists to protect the confidentiality of their sources. Californian video journalist and blogger Josh Wolf, 24 has been in prison since 18 September for refusing to surrender unpublished video footage to a federal grand jury.____________________________________________________________15.02.07 – Two journalists should avoid prison in sources case to “relief but no satisfaction”Reporters Without Borders voiced relief that Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, of the daily San Francisco Chronicle, threatened with imprisonment by a federal court for refusing to reveal their source of information in a sports drugs scandal, would not after all go to jail.But the worldwide press freedom organisation said this conclusion did not resolve the root of the problem since the source had effectively turned himself in and pleaded guilty. News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Follow the news on United States NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas April 28, 2021 Find out more News United StatesAmericas Newslast_img read more

Read More
Royal Canadian Navy Ships to Maintain Presence in Mediterranean Sea Until End of 2012

first_img View post tag: Maintain View post tag: ships November 24, 2011 Royal Canadian Navy Ships to Maintain Presence in Mediterranean Sea Until End of 2012 The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced that Royal Canadian Navy ships will maintain a presence in the Mediterranean Sea until the end of 2012 in order to join Operation Active Endeavour, the NATO counter-terrorism effort in the region.Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Vancouver, originally deployed as part of Operation Unified Protector, will remain in the Mediterranean until early 2012, when she will be relieved by HMCS Charlottetown. HMCS Vancouver and her CH-124 Sea King Helicopter detachment have been in the Mediterranean Sea since August, when she joined the NATO fleet off Libya as part of Operation Unified Protector.“I commend the crew and leadership of HMCS Vancouver for their hard work and contribution to Operation Unified Protector. Canada will now project its leadership role in NATO by contributing to anti-terrorism,” said Minister MacKay. “I’m proud of what our forces have accomplished in the area, and I have confidence our continued presence in the Mediterranean will help detect and deter terrorist activities.”HMCS Vancouver’s tasks while on Operation Active Endeavour include locating, tracking, reporting and boarding vessels of interest suspected of involvement in terrorism. Although their mandate is limited to detection and deterrence of activities related to terrorism, the NATO fleet deployed on Operation Active Endeavour has contributed to enhanced security and stability in the Mediterranean Sea.“I’m proud of the service and accomplishments of the crew of HMCS Vancouver during Operation Unified Protector. Their transition to another NATO duty, and continued presence in the Mediterranean makes great sense,” said General Walt Natynczyk, the Chief of the Defence Staff. “Canadian security begins abroad. Our frigate will contribute to an important ongoing international operation and will further support Canadian interests overseas. We will continue to work alongside our NATO allies to build upon our successes and to bring stability to the region.”HMCS Vancouver departed her home port of Esquimalt, B.C., on July 10, 2011, bound for the Mediterranean Sea to relieve HMCS Charlottetown. For more than two months, HMCS Vancouver patrolled the in-shore waters off the embattled Libyan ports of Misrata, Tripoli, Tobruk, and Sirte as part of Combined Task Group 455.01. That tasking ended on October 31, 2011, with the successful conclusion of Operation Unified Protector.HMCS Charlottetown will sail from her home port of Halifax in January 2012.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, November 24, 2011; Image: navy Back to overview,Home naval-today Royal Canadian Navy Ships to Maintain Presence in Mediterranean Sea Until End of 2012 View post tag: 2012 View post tag: sea View post tag: presence View post tag: Navycenter_img View post tag: Naval View post tag: Canadian View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Royal View post tag: until View post tag: end View post tag: Mediterranean Share this articlelast_img read more

Read More