Tag: 上海夜网IM

Burned bodies found after Morocco protests – minister

first_imgProtesters marched through Rabat and other Moroccan cities on SundayFive burned bodies have been found in a bank which was set on fire following anti-government protests in Morocco on Sunday, the interior minister has said.Taib Cherkaoui said the bodies were discovered in the northern town of Al Hoceima.He said the protests in Al Hoceima and other towns and cities were peaceful, but added that acts of vandalism and looting took place after the rallies.The protesters demanded that King Mohammed VI give up some of his power.So far there has been no independent confirmation of the deaths in Al Hoceima, and it is not clear how they may have died.Protests have spread across the region since popular movements in Tunisia and Egypt forced out leaders.However, analysts say that – unlike other countries that have seen protests – Morocco has a successful economy, an elected parliament and a reformist monarchy, making it less vulnerable to a major uprising.Former BBC Morocco correspondent Richard Hamilton says regular protests are allowed and the government has promised to double food subsidies.But beneath the surface real problems are lurking, he adds.With a huge young population, many of them poor or unemployed.The gap between rich and poor has been described by one commentator as “obscene” and parliamentary elections are said by critics to be a fig leaf for an undemocratic system, he says.King Mohammed is a member of the Alawite dynasty that has been ruling Morocco for some 350 years, claiming a direct line of descent from the Prophet Muhammad.It is regarded as almost sacrilegious to question his role as king, our correspondent says. 35 Views   no discussions Share Tweet News Burned bodies found after Morocco protests – minister by: – February 21, 2011 Share Share Sharing is caring! BBC Newslast_img read more

Read More
Return of the king: LeBron wows Manila fans anew

first_imgPolice seize P68-M worth of ‘shabu’ in Pasay The 30-minute exhibition game at MOA capped a whirlwind day for the Cleveland Cavaliers star who had earlier presided over a workout session with Gilas Pilipinas players and select media at Kerry Sports.“I said two years ago that I was coming back, but unfortunate things happened and I wasn’t able to make it last year,” James addressed the crowd at MOA Arena.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’“There was no way I was not going to come this year to Manila. I’m really happy to be here and to celebrate the time with you guys here. I hope you guys continue to work with me. Thank you for being part of the Lebron James Tour.”James also dropped by The Tenement in Taguig where a mural honoring him was unveiled. “First of all, I’d like to apologize because I promised to be back the last time I was here and it took a long time,” said James, who last visited Manila in 2015.The exhibition game pitted the older batch of Gilas Pilipinas against the younger Gilas crew, which included the 6-foot-11, 15-year-old Kai Sotto, who showed nimble feet and a polished offensive game.Sotto played alongside Kiefer Ravena, RR Pogoy, Ray Parks, Raymond Almazan, Matthew Wright and Mike Tolomia.It also turned out to be a reunion of sorts for Gilas 2.0 members Jeff Chan, Ranidel De Ocampo, Gabe Norwood, Japeth Aguilar, LA Tenorio, Gary David, Jayson Castro and retired national team legend Jimmy Alapag.But the array of local stars could not diminish one bit the spotlight and love Filipino fans showered on James, arguably the best —albeit also the most polarizing—player in the planet today.ADVERTISEMENT Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Search on for 5 Indonesians snatched anew in Lahad Datu Arellano, Ateneo score quick wins in PVL collegiate opener Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Bishop Baylon encourages faithful in Albay to help Taal evacuees View comments National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal LATEST STORIEScenter_img During an earlier private training session, James also provided some inspiring messages for players and media people present.“For me, it’s all about believing in yourself; uncertainties will come to your mind but you cannot stop believing especially if you put in the work,” said James.“Sometimes you’ll feel that you’re not doing enough and if you get to that point just look at the mirror,” he added. “At the end of the day you’re the one who’ll control your destiny.” —WITH A REPORT FROM BONG LOZADA, INQUIRER.NETRELATED VIDEO Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles LeBron puts on a show for his Filipino fans anew. Photo by Sherwin Vardeleon/INQUIRER.Just like his two previous visits to Manila, NBA star Lebron James thrilled Filipino basketball fans with a dazzling display of skill, power and athleticism in an exhibition game highlighting his “Strive For Greatness” Tour at Mall of Asia Arena.James’ five minute stint was met by cheers from an adoring throng as the three-time NBA champion and four-time Most Valuable Player scored on a wide array of powerful dunks to power Gilas Young Blood past Gilas Originals, 92-71.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hotdog’s Dennis Garcia dieslast_img read more

Read More
What if they had an Olympics, but no one would host?

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Here are a few suggestions:ROTATING HOSTSThis idea has been thrown around for years but never taken seriously by the IOC.At the very least, the Winter Games should move toward this concept as soon as possible given its more limited appeal and having fewer cities capable of even hosting the snow and ice events (maybe even fewer in the years to come, given the potentially devastating impact of climate change).Previous hosts such as Salt Lake City, Calgary, Japan (with Sapporo and Nagano sharing the load) and Norway (a similar arrangement between Oslo and Lillehammer) would be obvious candidates to serve on a rotating basis, since they have all the necessary facilities in place. Winter sports-loving countries such as Germany, Switzerland and Austria might be willing to get on board, too, if they could be assured costs wouldn’t spiral out of control.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Luka Doncic gives Mavs hope of transition to next Euro star Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum The madness continues in Tokyo. A new aquatics center costing some $250 million is under construction, even though the city already has a modern natatorium that will be used only for water polo. While an argument can be made that the existing facility (seating around 3,600) wasn’t big enough for Olympic swimming, there’s no explanation for why the organizers didn’t just install a temporary pool in one of the numerous indoor areas around the Tokyo metropolitan area. For instance, the 17,000-seat Yokohama Arena (less than 20 miles from downtown Tokyo) was passed over as a venue.“On paper, Tokyo looked like a very solid bid,” Conrad said. “I cannot believe the costs.”The IOC needs to follow through on what it preaches, which means nixing potential white elephants and saying no to individual sports federation that insist on the most elaborate venues for their athletes.SHARING THE BURDENWhy does a single city essentially have to host an entire Olympics?The size of the games is simply too much for one locale to bear, so the IOC should consider awarding them to entire countries — maybe even several neighboring countries (much like soccer’s World Cup). That way, the plethora of sports could be divvied up to existing venues.For that matter, there’s no reason why the games couldn’t be spread around the world every four years. It happened in 1956, when strict quarantine laws prevented the equestrian competition from being held in Australia, so it was shifted to Sweden (five months before the Melbourne Games, in fact).Rio de Janeiro undoubtedly would have welcomed such an accommodation in 2016, when it was required to build a costly new golf course that would have more use these days as a cow pasture. Imagine how much more sense it would’ve made to stage golf in, say, St. Andrews rather than a country where it has little appeal.Better get to it, IOC.Otherwise, there won’t be anyone left to host your little party. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew With news Friday that Stockholm is likely to pull out of the race for the 2026 Winter Games — just days after it was approved as a candidate city by the International Olympic Committee — there is an ever-increasing chance that no one will be left to hear its name called by the time the final decision is made next year.The only other cities interested in hosting are Calgary, Canada, and the combined Italian bid of Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo. But Calgary’s proposal faces a crucial referendum next month — and polls suggest it hardly has overwhelming support — while Italy’s plans are marred by a lack of government backing and the memory of Rome pulling out of the race for both the 2020 and 2024 Summer Games .FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissAs if cities needed any further reminder of what a boondoggle the Olympics is: Pyeongchang is already pondering whether to raze some of the venues it built for this year’s Winter Games because there’s simply no use for them, while Tokyo is set to spend a staggering $25 billion on the next Summer Games — and maybe even more.“They’ve got to rethink the whole model,” said Mark Conrad, who runs the sports business program at Fordham University. Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil On the Summer Olympics side, Sydney (perhaps co-hosting with Melbourne), Seoul, Los Angeles, London and Beijing all have the potential to become permanent rotating sites. It also would be a fitting gesture to include Athens, the birthplace of the modern Olympics, but the IOC would need to cough up a few billion dollars so the Greeks could fix up all the decaying, abandoned facilities left over from the financial debacle that was the 2004 Games.“There was more resistance to this when everyone wanted to host,” said Matthew Robinson, a professor of business administration at the University of Delaware who has worked with the IOC. “Now, I think you’re going to see more of an open mind to the rotating idea.”FEWER SPORTSThis is an area where the IOC has shown a complete unwillingness to make significant reforms, despite repeated calls to limit the enormous size of the games.Instead of scaling back for the Tokyo Games, the IOC approved not one, not two, but SIX new sports : baseball, softball, sport climbing, karate, skateboarding and surfing. Not to mention, new disciplines were added for sports such as basketball (a three-on-three competition) and swimming (which will have a mixed relay for the first time). There’s even talk of video gaming being added for the 2024 Paris Games, to appeal to a more youthful audience.Stop the madness.The IOC should dump any sport that can’t guarantee the participation of its best athletes (farewell, baseball), along with all those that have limited global and spectator appeal (we’re looking at you, team handball, water polo and modern pentathlon). In addition, there needs to a serious culling in the number of events, even in more popular sports such as track and field (seriously, do we need race walking?) and swimming (a staggering 37 gold medals will be doled out in Tokyo).IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WON’T COMEAnother area where the IOC talks a good game but rarely follows through.While insisting that cities should only build facilities they can use after the games, Pyeongchang was allowed to spend more than $100 million on a temporary 35,000-seat stadium solely for the opening and closing ceremonies. Making that decision even more ludicrous: there was an existing 22,000-seat soccer stadium in the Gangneung Olympic Park that wasn’t even used during the games! Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption FILE – This Aug. 25, 2018, file photo, shows a general aerial view of the dismantled stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics with the Olympic cauldron, right, in Pyeongchang, South Korea. Pyeongchang is already considering razing some of the venues it built for this year’s Winter Games because there’s simply no use for them, while Tokyo is reportedly set to spend a staggering $25 billion on the next Summer Games. (Yang Ji-woong/Yonhap via AP, File)What if they threw an Olympic party, but no one was willing to host it?That day could be coming, and sooner than you might think.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

Read More
Minibus Association President to meet Minister to discuss fare

first_imgMore than one month after bus fares increased by $20 in 10 different zones across the country, United Minibus Union (UMU) President Eon Andrews is yet to meet with Business Minister Dominic Gaskin to discuss a possible $40 increase for longer minibus routes.UMU President Eon AndrewsAccording to Andrews, during an invited comment on Saturday, he hopes to meet with the Minister during the coming week to discuss the increases for those routes where fares have not been hiked.A few of those routes include 94 (Lethem to Georgetown); 63 (Moleson Creek to Georgetown); 72 (Mahdia) and 73 (Bartica).“Those are long zones – 60, 63, Linden, Mahdia and those things we’re still looking at because remember those are very long routes, so $20 increase may not be appropriate for an increase, so we are looking at that,” he explained.Andrews added, “Initially, I had said in my proposal probably $40 more (for the longer routes), but that was just something I put forward. It doesn’t mean that is what it will be. It could be $60, you know, but I thought that the shorter routes should get $20, because we have to take the commuters into consideration because that is my most important concern although I represent minibuses.”The new fare structure for 10 different minibus zones was announced, following the recent report of a $20 increase across the board that took effect from September 1, 2018.Among the zones with new fare structures were 31 (Georgetown to Patentia); 32 (Georgetown to Parika); 40, 41, 45, 46 (Georgetown to Kitty/Campbellville, South/North Ruimveldt/Guyhoc, Main Street/ Lamaha/Albert and Lodge); 44 (Georgetown to Mahaica); 47, 48 (Georgetown to Back Road, East and West Sophia); and 42 (Georgetown to Timehri).Plans were first announced by the Business Ministry on August 20 for a $20 increase.Andrews, during previous interviews with Guyana Times, had said he was satisfied with the Ministry’s decision to implement a $20 increase.In June, the UMU President submitted a proposal for not only a fare increase, but for several other requests to ease the pressure on minibus drivers.Although the call for a fare increase came at a time when fuel prices were constantly rising, Andrews had noted that the call for the additional money was not only due to the fuel prices but several other issues. Because of this, the Union President said even if the fuel prices were to drop, he would not be willing to reduce the fare.“We are saying that, yes, there are increases in many other things. We are not basing our argument on fuel, because we don’t control that in this country,” he said.Guyana Times understands that the Union had initially requested $20 for short drop bus drivers and $40 for drivers who traverse the longer routes.last_img read more

Read More